250g mini drumhead cabbage finely chopped
small 80g potato, peeled and coarsely grated
1 spring onion thinly sliced (4 spring onions)
100g black tiger prawns, peeled, deveined, (cooked chicken pieces) cut into 2cm pieces
1 1/2 tbs panko breadcrumbs
1 tbs vegetable oil
Kewpie (Whole egg) Mayonnaise, to serve
Sliced spring onion, extra, to serve
Pickled ginger, to serve
1 tsp chicken stock powder
⅓ cup (50g) plain flour
2 Free Range Eggs
Okonomiyaki (Japanese) sauce
½ cup (125ml) tomato ketchup
¼ cup (60ml) Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup (55g) caster sugar (2 tbs maple syrup)
1½ tbs light soy sauce
2 tbs oyster sauce
1. To make okonomiyaki sauce, combine ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, soy sauce and oyster sauce in a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer over low heat. Cook, stirring for 3-5 mins or until sugar dissolves and the sauce thickens. Set aside to cool completely.
2. To make the batter, place the stock powder, flour, eggs and 50ml warm water in a bowl and whisk until smooth and well combined.
3. Place cabbage, potato, spring onion, prawn and breadcrumbs in a large bowl and gently toss to combine. Add the batter and gently fold to combine. (do not overwork the mixture)
4. Heat half the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Add half the pancake mixture (do not press the mixture in the pan).
Cover and cook for 10 mins or until the base
is golden brown and crisp. Turn and cook, covered, for l0 mins or until golden brown and cooked through. Increase heat to medium and cook for a further I-2 mins each side or until the pancake is crisp. Transfer to a plate and
cover to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining oil and pancake mixture.
5. Divide the pancakes between
serving plates. Drizzle with the
okonomiyaki sauce and mayonnaise.
Top with extra spring onion and pickled
ginger and serve immediately.
Photo: Courtesy of Jackie Moult
Recipe: Adapted from a Coles recipe with extra ingredients added.
I found this recipe in the latest Coles magazine and wanted to give it a try.
So glad I did. We loved it.
I used chicken instead of prawns, 4 spring onions, maple syrup instead of sugar and whole egg mayonnaise instead of Kewpie.
It was amazing!!
updated September 2022